Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Treasure Hunt

“Treasure Hunt” These  words  send  a  wave  of  excitement through me, whenever  I  hear  them.  Normally it is a game of chits.  But  friends,  let  me  narrate  my  wonderful  experience  regarding  this  very  game.
     St Xavier’s  College  of  Mumbai  had  held  their  college  festival  “Malhar” . People  from  different  states  are  always  eager,  to  at  least  be its  spectators.  I  was  fortunate  enough  to  be  a  participant  in  this  esteemed  function.
     Siddharth,  Neela  and  myself  had  represented  our  S.I.E.S  College  from  Sion. Usually  I  am  a  late  riser;  but  for  this  event  I  rose  at  6  in  the  morning when  the  dews  were  still  fresh.  At about 8.30, we left along with our ACRs. About an hour later, we reached our destination, punctually.  The  queue  at  the  outskirts  of  the  St Xavier’s  college  was  longer  than  a serpent’s tail. Wow! What popularity!
     Our ACRs had already taken our entry passes. When our turn came, we were not allowed inside. Thankfully, our college receipt saved us. We were checked thoroughly by the volunteers along with our bags. Only then, they let us in. The security was very efficient. Our names were recorded and we were given our numbers. I still remember my number was 18. We freshened up ourselves and were ready for a tough challenge.
     In the first round, each team had to cross a long passage. However, friends, we were not supposed to touch the ground. We were given three large rectangular white sheets to walk over. All three participants had to move together. We were timed by seconds. If our legs touched the ground, we would get minus two points. That meant minus 4 seconds.
     We kept the first sheet ahead of us. Neela and I stood on the next sheet, while Siddharth stood on the last sheet. Neela and I jumped on the first sheet, consecutively; Siddharth following us on the second sheet. Then we moved the third sheet ahead of us and jumped on it. We followed this chain and got through the passage.
     We were desperately waiting for the results. Then when the results were out, I jumped with great joy. We had cleared the first round. Next round was very interesting. Two of the teammates had to be blindfolded. All three of them had to be tied together around their legs. Each team had a volunteer guide. Neela and I were blindfolded and all three of us were tied by scarves. Our guide led us excellently. It was difficult to walk and we had to actually run!
     During our “running walk,” we had to collect four slips. Fortunately, we collected all four. Soon we untied ourselves and reached a small table. The slips contained jumbled words. We had to solve them as soon as possible. Our guide hinted that the words were names of some countries. Neela and Siddharth solved them.  Then we collected a flag. This flag was our green signal for the next round. 
     The third round was brain twisting. Two wooden chairs were kept at a considerable distance. We were given one newspaper, cello-tape, scissors, and a Hot Wheels Car. We had to make a bridge with the newspaper and make the car pass the bridge without making it fall. We were not allowed to move the chairs nor stick even a bit of cello tape on the chairs. For us the question was what to do and how?
     Then we realized that cello-tape and scissors were of no use to us. We made a long cylindrical shape of the newspaper and placed it between the two chairs. Siddharth then slid the car over the bridge. During the first try, it flipped and fell. However, in the second chance, the car ran from one end to the other without breaking a fall. We rushed for our flag and then we received our next green signal for the coming task.
     One participant of each team had to stay downstairs and the other two had to go to the terrace. Siddharth stayed on the ground for the next round. He had to make a paper rocket and fly it to the target. It feels great to say that he was the first person to reach the target. On the other hand, Neela and I were supposed to burst three balloons without pricking them. After climbing so much, half of our energy was totally drained out. Neela somehow managed to complete this tricky task.
     Then from the terrace itself, we were supposed to find our teammate who was downstairs. Siddharth was given a huge bucket, while we were given newspaper sheets. We had to make balls out of these papers and throw it in the bucket, which Siddharth was holding. We successfully completed our task and rushed downstairs.
     When we were collecting our flags, some confusion had spread among the volunteering group. There was a tie between us and the three other teams. Imagine, from 32 teams only four teams were left. So it was decided to play another bucket game.  Within 5 minutes, the arrangement was made. Unexpectedly, one volunteer came and told us that one of the teams had committed cheating. At last, that team was eliminated. Now only three teams were left. The event was getting even more competing and exciting.
     We were taken into a ventilated classroom. We were very exhausted. The volunteers were kind enough to serve us with some cold water. We had to solve a coded message given on a chart. Nevertheless, we had to do it without uttering a word. Majority part Siddharth and I solved. People complimented me as a good decoder!
     Now we had to perform the most challenging task. It was the final round. Some volunteers had many expectations from us. They were heartily praying for our victory. There was a cardboard shoebox. A long twisted metallic wire was fixed on it. We had to pass a small ring wire around the long wire without touching it. If the wires touched each other, the small bulb on the box would glow and we would loose our chance. Each participant was given three chances.
     Neela tried first and then we followed. However, we lost our three chances. Again, Neela tried. Next, I tried, but in vain. Now our last and the final chance were left. Our all hopes rested on Siddharth. I was so nervous that I closed my eyes and started praying. I had full faith in God and Siddharth. People around me did try to distract me. Nevertheless, fortunately they failed.
     Then I heard a huge cry of joy. When I opened my eyes, I heard Siddharth was able to finish the task successfully. Our hard work and prayers had worked miracles for us. Everyone started congratulating us. It was the most shocking surprise for me. Never in my life had I participated in any such event or a competition. The last time I had won a competition was when I was a six-year-old child. After so many years, winning that “Malhar” was the most rocking thing happening to me in my life!
     Our college authorities and our ACRs were the happiest of all. I was very excited to meet my best friends Tanushri and Supriya. I called up at my place and broke the great news to my Mom. She too was enjoying the news. On reaching my house, my younger brother hugged me and everyone congratulated me.
     Our College honoured us with a certificate and a beautiful watch. I can never forget this incident in my life. I thank you God for gifting me this wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment